CLEANSE & PURIFY NEGATIVE VIBES
WITH WHITE SAGE
White Sage has been used traditionally over the centuries by the ancients to cleanse and purify not only themselves but their sacred space. Particularly by the Native American’s, to remove negative energies and evil spirits. It has also been used in ceremonies to seek out blessings of prosperity and health, and to expel spirits. It cleanses, purifies and clears negative energy for people, areas and objects.
Its all about shifting energy!
So if your feeling yeuk and stuck here are a few tips and tricks to help move those bad vibes away.
Believe it or not there is science behind all this Mumbo jumbo !
It’s proven that white sage emits negative ions; just like a waterfall or running water does. Negative ions make us feel cleaner, lighter and energize our etheric and physical bodies. Our aura holds positive ions, kinda like a carpet when you walk across it, creates static electricity. Only, these positive ions are like dust in our aura and it simply makes us feel sluggish, tired, or just not our usual selves. The smoke from white sage meets the positive ions, clings to them and neutralizes them out of our aura, or from the room or house where you live or work.
HOW DO YOU USE IT?
First and foremost please be careful with any burning object whether it be a smudge stick, palo santo or candle! I always have a heat proof bowl to put the sage in, after it has been ignited. Many people use an abalone shell; but any piece of thick, fired pottery (or even a Pyrex bowl) will do. Be-careful as sage burns HOT. It is the spiritual nature of it to do so. Don’t use a container that is not bake proof or tempered for high heat--it will crack it and it could cause a fire. I don’t suggest use anything metal, because heat is conductive and you will get burned.
- Light the sage with a match at the very tips of the leaves on top of the wand. In -fact I actually cut the strings on the bundle and just pull out one branch - I find it easier than trying to extinguish the whole bundle when I’m finished!
- Once it starts to flame , then blow them out quickly. You can use a feather fan to do this, or a piece of cardboard or a paper fan. It's important to NOT let it Flame and burn. Once it is lit, and the flame is blown out, it will smoke thinly or thickly, afterward. The energy comes with the smoke, not the flame!
- If you are cleansing a room, simply walk around and guide the smoke until you feel the energy “shift” or a lightness to the area. Taking care to let the smoke waft up into the corners. As negative energy tends to hang here like cobwebs. There’s no set period of time- if you are doing this regularly then you may find it only takes a few minutes to “top up” the energy.
- Windows open or closed? I like to think that an open window allows the bad vibes to “escape”- but some people like a closed window. The choice is yours!
- Once you are done carefully extinguish your bundle by stumping it out in your dish. Only when you are sure it is extinguished is it safe to put away.
Smudging isn’t just restricted to spaces and objects.
To smudge yourself simply bend over a bowl with some smoking sage in near your feet. Try to make sure that the bowl is about the level of your feet and ankles. Gently waft the smoke, with your fan, upward. As you slowly unbend and straighten up, you are bringing the sage/bowl and fanning the smoke up, up, upward until you've sent the smudging smoke up above your head. You are now "smudged"!
WHEN TO SMUDGE
- When moving into a new house, room or flat
- When you want to cleanse the energy of a particular objectie: jewellery or crystals
- When needing to focus energy or thoughts. Great before meditation
- Cleanse negative low frequency entities from your home or in your personal space.
- Basically any time you feel is right
1. Remember the longer it stays lit the stronger the smell will be- don’t overdo it everything will reek!
2. You may want to open a window as its pretty pungent- this also helps fire alarms not to go off
3. Feel free to add essential oils to your bundle to infuse more energy. Juniper is very cleansing, orange or neroli very uplifting, or perhaps lemon or a drop of eucalyptus for lingering vibes after an sickness.
Above all please be careful with any lit flame. Happy smudging!