In ancient times , sound and vibrations were commonly used to help purify and rejuvenate the body and mind. Believed to help improve health and well being.
I’ve spoken on many occasions about using sound to clear and cleanse the physical vibration of a crystal-singing bowls being one of my favourite ways to do so. But did you know you can add another energetic layer to this ?
Let’s talk water, crystals and singing bowls!
Why use water in your singing bowl ?
Some practitioners believe that the quality of water can be improved by charging it using the vibrations created by playing a singing bowl.
How it works
When a singing bowl is played, the movement creates sound and vibrations that reverberate throughout the bowl. When you pour water inside the bowl and play it, the water will begin to vibrate and create waves and droplets that are not only amazing to look at but vibrationally create positive ions.
Studies have discovered that the sounds of nature help the body decrease the sympathetic response that causes the “fight or flight” reaction, and increases the parasympathetic response which works to help the body relax and function in normal circumstances. Listening to the sound and watching the interaction with water can help calm the nervous system and relax the body and mind.
Some practitioners believe that using the water that is charged using a singing bowl has special healing benefits.
Its also believe that water charged with a singing bowl is not only beneficial for us but also to our plants and animal friends. You can try pouring the water from your singing bowl into your potted plants after you have finished your meditation session. Your plants will then absorb the positive vibrations, which helps them grow and thrive.
How to Charge Water with Singing Bowls
Its really easy to charge water using your singing bowl.
I recommend that you pour enough water to fill the bowl at half of its capacity. Be careful not to pour too much water into your bowl, or else you may have a difficult time playing the singing bowl as it may continuously spill. Also it could mute the sound of your bowl and decrease the vibrations.
There are two methods to charge water using your singing bowl, - these methods can also be applied in combination with each other or separately.
The first method
- take your mallet and circle the bowl’s rim.
- After circling the rim a few times, sound waves should soon be visible on the water’s surface.
- Intensifying the circling movement around the rim will cause droplets to emerge.
- The more intense the circling movement around the bowl’s rim, the more you will see patterns in the water begin to emerge.
- After a while you should reach a point where the water becomes unstable and droplets begin to form. They may become suspended at the center of the bowl or jump out of the water’s surface.
The second method
- strike the bowl’s rim with your mallet. This will produce patterns on the water’s surface and will be observable through the nodal points where the sound waves manifest.
- The first point is where the mallet hit the bowl, and the second point is exactly opposite to the first point. The third and fourth points will be located at the two points where the first and second points meet halfway.
- The sound produced while there is water inside the bowl can be very therapeutic for the body.
A note of caution
Please be careful about drinking water that has been stored within your singing bowl. As certain metals in your singing bowl can leach into the water, which may make it toxic or unsuitable to drink. Though the water is infused with healing energies, toxins leached into the water - the alloys in your bowl can be harmful over time. For this reason, only drink liquid charged in thoroughly cleaned glass or crystal bowls. If you only have a metal bowl, use charged water to water your plants or cleanse crystals. If you have a glass or crystal bowl, try charging other (non-carbonated) liquids in the bowl. Herbal teas and juices are especially beneficial after a singing bowl healing ceremony.
If you only have a metal bowl you can indirectly charge the water by placing it in a glass jar or cup and play the singing bowl in close proximity.
Crystals and singing bowls.
Avoid placing crystals inside a singing bowl to cleanse them. Not only will this dull or offset the sound but it could damage your crystals. The crystals will vibrate inside the bowl against the metal and any other stones which could chip, crack or break them.
How to cleanse your crystals with a singing bowl
- place your crystals on a flat surface
- Put the singing bowl on your non-dormant hand. With the other hand, strike the bowl with a mallet to produce a ringing sound.
- Firmly rub the outside rim of the singing bowl with the mallet in a clockwise direction. This will continue the ringing sound, which you can stop anytime.
- Continue to rub the mallet around the bowl until you sense that the cleansing process is complete.